Tuesday, July 27, 2010

San Diego Comic Con 2010 - Day 3 & 4

(Caught this on the news after Comic Con Day 4)


I think after day 3 I totally completely checked out mentally & physically. It didn't help I had a party of of 7 (including) myself. Luckily I do remember what happened so...here we go!

San Diego Comic Con - Day 3

We had a reasonably early start only because today is Masquerade Ball. Traditionally I set out this day only to be in line, grab tickets & wait 'til Masquerade starts later that night. Since there was a party of 7 with me, we had to alternate times especially since I had my volunteer shift an hr prior to the Masquerade. It was fairly easy going; seeing people running down doing carmel dansen, folks cosplaying, taking pictures of cosplayers, signs of free huggers, con funk (geez its totally smelly) & waiting.

Like I had said prior, this would be different considering I was a part of actual staff. So when I went to inquire how many tickets per person they would give in line, I had learned (the fast way) that tickets for the Masquerade Tickets were available for staff who wanted to go, so I had gotten my tickets for my group way earlier than other people who were waiting 'til 3pm to hand them out. Either way I was waiting in line only because I wanted to be near the front of the line to get some decent seating. While I was waiting, I was able to chat with some people online since I had bothered to bring my laptop but it wasn't too long 'til I realized it was time to go to my shift. It wasn't so bad, watch more anime & relax. Kept in contact w/ my group and everything.

After 3hrs of my shift ... made my way back. I had let my group prior get some food for dinner so they ordered pizza. What was nice, they delivered right to the hall (I wish I was there for that lol) so I was able to have some pizza & wait 'til the Masquerade Ball started.

During the Masquerade Ball...

36 entries, over 240+ costumes to be seen. I admit, I was a little disappointed at the low participant count but I understood why, a lot of groups had grouped together & there were a lot more fun skits. From Puff the Magic Dragon, Viva Las Villains, Batman Beyond to Avatar vs. Avatar. Either way there were a lot of fun creative entries that made me laugh, overall it was very enjoyable. Well...until the half time show, they showed favorite fan made films from Star Wars & they did the same thing 'bout 2yrs ago...I guess they couldn't find any decent half time show folks who'd be willing to perform.

Either way it was a fun 'n wonderful night, I think I lost my voice that night.

-----

San Diego Comic Con - Day 4

The final day & we had a really late start. I didn't really arrive there 'til noon & even then I had my first shift at 1pm so I couldn't exactly wander the floor. I also found out Nexon was back once again & they had such an awesome freebee shirt they were giving out (my cousin was wearing one). So when I dropped my friends off, I had to go straight to where I was suppose to be. After watching more anime (and compiling a list of anime I wanna start watching) I had talk to some seniority staff to see if there was still that meeting afterwards...which...I....found out they did.

So after my shift, I went back to the floor, started scouting out what I wanted to buy. I had to ask my cousin to buy a few things for me since I was at my shift. So I have 3 new baby voodoo dolls (2 bears & 1 ox *which looks like a cow!*). I also wanted new cell phone charms so I got 3 gloomy bears (brown, black & blue). I think that was the extent of my spending, only because if I got any more plushies....I'm not quite sure where to place this in my room [side note: Plush count @ 60...80ish? idk...]

Near the end of the floor closing -- I never got to hear the announcement since I wanted to be early for the meeting w/ my section of the staff. I said hello to other staff volunteers & it was nice to finally meet more of them. The coordinators briefed all of us, telling everyone that everything went well & smooth, there were no problems & that we were all re invited to be apart of the staff for 2011. I'm looking forward to that...now where's that Comic Con count down again?

-----

Final Thoughts

Overall, this has been a fun experience & a change of pace from the past experiences I had before. I learned about more of what the staff does & how much hard work they put in...including the neat little perks & behind the scene stuff. Learning 'bout vendor exhibitioners have a 3yr or was it 5? As much as I'm sad to see this end, I look forward to next Comic Con & where I will be at in 1yr's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment