Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gotta Catch'em All - Re-visited


Pokemon revisited --

Sometime around August 8th, 2010 ~ I was in the midsts restarting to play Pokemon HeartGold.

Backtracking...

I had played Pokemon before, Gen. 1 consisted of Red & Blue, with trading & by other means...I was able to get all 151. That was years ago! Whatever happened to that game? I'm pretty sure Blue version had all 151 I had bother to catch & trade but as years passed by, I lost not only both Red & Blue, but the brick heavy looking things that was once known as a Gameboy.

Next...

I had forgot to mention this prior, I had Pokemon Gold. Yet, here's the catch to this...it was in Japanese so I had to navigate through with a translation guide. Did I catch all of them then? No...and obviously you can imagine why.

Just to try...

I never got around to playing FireRed or LeafGreen, but when my younger cousins got the game, I managed to borrow that...yet I didn't play it. Perhaps, the reason my interests got started was when I played Pokemon Ruby. Yes, this was also borrowed from my cousin too.

Coming back to the present...

I bought & started playing Pokemon Diamond, seeing all the pokemon in the Sinnoh region is neat, didn't realize that once you open the National Pokedex, it gets a little harder. Did I ever finish the game? For the most part, yes, I did. Did I catch all 493 by the time that came out? No. I really didn't have a keen interest in completing a large list. I did however transfered all the pokemon I had caught in Ruby which gave me an interesting fair start.

As Pokemon Platinum came out, the initial reason of wanting to play was there but that quickly died down since all my pokemon were in Diamond anyways...eventually I may want to backtrack only to see the minor differences in the game, maybe not, we'll see.

When Pokemon HeartGold came out, I admit, I was a sucker to get the game strictly for the pokewalker. I played on & off only because when parts got difficult I lost interest rather quickly. Yet somewhere within the on again off again playing, some trading with another friend, I thought back to the Gen. 1 game I once had where I did catch all 151. I figured "Hey I might as well try & see how it goes..." There's no rhyme or reason, no charity behind it, no glory...well basically nothing behind this drive. (A little back history, at times, being a girl gamer, I tend to be one of those gamers that are uh completionists? Y'know...wanting every spell...every little moment unlocked...collect every little thing possible etc. etc.) I just wanted to see if I really could achieve something similar when I had caught 151...except this time its now 493. A daunting task considering this is Gen. 4 & many pokemon are either obtainable through trade or if a person is willing to wait, the Nintendo Wifi events Pokemon events that are held every now & then.

The process...

Now it did help a lot that my friend from the Bay Area had come down to visit, we had traded & it was a good start. All the trading initially happened in my Pokemon Diamond game (ie. Arceus, Darkrai etc.). Some trading happened on my HeartGold too (ie. Deoxys). Eventually I had moved all the pokemon I caught in Diamond (and some I previous did through Pal Park do to Pokemon Ruby) to HeartGold but it wasn't enough. Apparently there were exclusives, like every game prior so this was no surprise to me. With only access to FireRed, Ruby, Diamond, Pearl, & Platinum, there were only so many ways for me catch certain pokemon. I admit, I can be a teeny bit lazy but thankfully I redirected my focus to asking friends online who may or may not have been playing Pokemon. I basically told them my little goal of catching 493, especially wanting to catch all 493 before Pokemon Black & White comes out in America. I'm am so very grateful that they were more than willing to help!

What does this mean?

More trading, giving out friend codes & due to my horrendous internet, going out to find reliable internet so I can trade! The process was tedious, evolving via leveling, evolving via happiness (yuck I want my pokemon happy? Blasphemy! JK!) & evolving via trading. I slowly did get further along, not too long ago in previous journal entries, I stated I was somewhere around the 300s? Maybe 400s!

Now...

After some trading the last 27 some odd pokemon I need, I was basically nearing my goal. With the exception of 1 that I couldn't get from my friend. I had to go about the tedious way of actually obtaining the pokemon I last needed, Spiritomb.

~

So yes, since August 8th & my statement of chasing after 493, my goal was reached September 9th early this morning. All pokemon were accounted for on my National Pokedex on HeartGold. A tedious journey with a simple inquiry of, 'can I do it'? The answer is an obvious yes.

.....

I really didn't & couldn't do all of this alone, this really did require patience, leveling & trading (perhaps also, a little bit of luck with all things considered) w/ friends.

-----

How many were involved? - There were well wishers & those who wanted or tried to help but couldn't due to various reasons (the thought is really appreciated & I am glad to know that there are friends who were willing to try & help meet this odd goal). The people who I actually did manage to trade with & those who have helped, there were a total of 3, (4 if I guess you count my earlier efforts?) and those 3 I would like to thank so much for making it happen...

My friend Milotic who is also my Audition couple - You do deserve the most thanks, you really did want to see me to the end of this goal. Filling in the gaps & helping me get a lot of the pokemon, which were rather in my opinion hard to get considering what games were available to me. I hope to help you finish as well since you're so close as well (so close! D:). Thank you so much~

My friend from the Bay Area - You pretty much started it all with helping me get some past event Pokemon I never got. Do I blame you? No, I thank you for helping with getting some pokemon I know would be rather hard to get to begin with. You have my gratitude! =D

My friend PapaBear who is also my Audition online FAM dad =x! - I haven't forgotten you! You did want to help & hence you did! You along with Milotic wanted to help me to the end. Really your efforts are recognized too & I appreciate it.

-----

Has my pokemon journey come to an end? - In a way...yes & no, I'm not obsessively playing to catch 493 anymore. I'm also moving pokemon into a pokewalker while I'm not playing pokemon (and I haven't opened up all the pokewalker paths yet). Its a little weird but I do also want to fully finish Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon FireRed..also maybe Pokemon Platinum. Last but not least, waiting for Pokemon Black & White to come out in America. Will it be a new journey to catch all those as well? We'll see...for now goodbye ~

No comments:

Post a Comment