Thursday, August 5, 2010

The idea of online romantic relationships ...

Online 'romantic' relationships...

A new trend that has started ever since the beginning of the internet age where people can talk to other people through the computer. Its developed & evolved more so with other factors such as MMO games. ...well at least I think so. Its not hard to notice, before the factor of MMO's there were folks who would troll the chat rooms looking for a lil cheap fun; why? easier on the wallet I imagine. It would just be the standard talk of 'a/s/l? pic?' you'd send your picture then just chat & do whatever for the rest of the night. Then with MMO's & RP games, there were other forms of online romantic relationships, whether it was through their RP characters or something of that extent where 'partners' or 'significant others' are involved, I think ultimately in the end, even if you're aiming to be 'just friends' ends up being something much more as much as you try to hide or deny it.

OK, I know I can't really consider myself old since I have been apart of this 'internet age'...but I have heard & remember of the old fashion ideals where romantic relationships were sweet & simple. It was all local, there was no need for the distance, that sort of thing. TBH, I think this sort of ideal has just been becoming less & less common with networking websites that help people find their compatible other regardless of distance. I recall a statistic I can't quote where but it said that the top 3 ways of finding that significant other is through 1. The Internet, 2. Work, & 3. Network of Friends.

Yet, just wandering off from that thought. Those with MMO & RP connected 'online romantic relationships' have left stable homes, tangible relationships for that person they had been sharing those moments online -- I never understood why. Some have worked out, some have went wrong & I don't know what compels people to do this. Maybe I just don't understand people these days... I can't help but ask how many people who do the whole 'online romantic relationship' ... how many of them take it seriously? ... how many of them think of it as just a big game so they can fulfill their need for drama in their live?

Who knows ...

No comments:

Post a Comment